… strategy lessons from Kleenex
Your products can quickly become more attractive by changing one simple thing – their jacket. Take a look at the example provided by Kleenex. Without a specific jacket, Kleenex is just another commoditized, easily duplicated, unadorned brand of facial tissue. But by adding specific jackets to sell the tissue within, it is quickly and radically transformed into a series of DIFFERENT value propositions for the customer.
- The Wallet Pack is thin & sleek, so you can always keep a tissue on hand.
- The Auto Pack fits perfectly in the car door or glove compartment – no need to lug around a box of tissue.
- There’s a designer line that is the brain child of no less than fashion guru Isaac Mizrahi! (Really? Yes, Really!!)
- You can even get a “fruit box” line to liven your kitchen.
Each jacket TRANSFORMS the desirability of the product for the several different types of in-day usage:
- On the go
- In the car
- Class up my place / Have some fun
What’s the takeaway?
Change your product’s jacket and you will dramatically alter its Attractiveness and Desirability!